Energy Smoothie Without Caffeine
This is a lively mix of green vegetables and citrus that will boost your energy in the afternoon without caffeine.Ingredients
- 2 handfuls of super or power greens spinach and/or kale is fine too
- A slice or two of ginger
- ½ cucumber sliced I like to keep the peel on so I try to buy organic
- 1 2 stalks of celery sliced
- 1 orange cut peel away, leaving white stuff on, and then chop
- 1 2 tsp of coconut oil
- A chunk or two of banana optional
- Add ingredients to the blender in the order listed. I find the blending easier when the greens go in first and the chunkier things on top.
- Start blender on slow. This is so important. If you forget and go to high to quickly, sometimes the ingredients get stuck or worse the top can blow off and smoothie goes every where!
- As the veggies and fruits get chopped up, increase speed until it is smoothly blended into a lovely drink. Oranges and cucumbers are juicy so don’t add too much water at first.
This makes a gorgeous bright green drink. It’s not too sweet. Sometimes I add a chunk or two of banana to sweeten it up. But I usually forget and I like it just fine. If you want something even tarter, you could swap a lemon for the orange. But I am partial to the orange in this.
You might notice, there’s a little coconut oil in this. It might sound weird, but I always add some oil to my smoothies. It makes the texture nicer and gives it more staying power. I like to have some fat to balance out the vegetables. A teaspoon or two does the trick.
Not only do I get a pick-me-up; I get an extra serving of vegetables in. This is a total win-win in my book!